Are you ready to step into the world of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs
), where engineering excellence knows no bounds? The IITs have long been a beacon of innovation and academic brilliance, attracting aspiring engineers from all corners of the country.
But before you can embark on this prestigious journey, it's essential to grasp the concept of IIT eligibility. These eligibility criteria are the gateways to these coveted institutions, setting the stage for your engineering dreams.
In this informative guide, we will unravel the multifaceted aspects of IIT eligibility, providing you with a comprehensive understanding of what it takes to begin your educational adventure at one of India's premier engineering institutions. So, let's dive in and explore the foundational prerequisites that can turn your IIT aspirations into reality.
Eligibility Criteria for the JEE Main exam 2024:
- Nationality: Indian citizens, foreign nationals, NRIs, PIOs, and OCIs can apply.
- Age: There is no age limit, but candidates must meet the age criteria of the specific institute they desire to join.
- Total Attempts: You can attempt JEE Main a maximum of three consecutive times, with a total of 6 attempts since the exam is held twice a year.
- Qualifying Exam: 10+2 or an equivalent examination must have been passed by a recognized institution or board. Various qualifying exams are accepted.
- Subjects: You must have studied at least five subjects, with Physics and Mathematics as core subjects. The topics required vary for B.E./B. Tech and B.Arch/B.Planning.
- Year of Passing: Candidates who passed the Class 12 exam in 2022 or 2023 or are currently appearing in 2024 are eligible. Those who passed in 2021 or earlier or will appear in 2025 or later do not qualify for JEE Main 2024.
- Diploma Holders: Diploma holders can apply, but their scores won't be considered for NIT or CFTI admissions.
- Marks Eligibility: General category candidates need at least 75% in Class 12 or be in the top 20 percentile. Reserved category candidates require a minimum of 65% for admissions to IITs, NITs, IIITs, and other CFTIs.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for Repeaters:
- Age Limit: The age limit has been removed by the NTA. Candidates no longer need to be below 24 years of age.
- Qualifying Exam: Candidates must have passed the Class 12 exam or an equivalent qualifying exam.
- Marks Requirement: Candidates who have appeared for the Class 12 board exam must secure a minimum of 75% marks.
- Subject Requirements: In the qualifying exam, candidates must have studied 5 subjects, with Physics and Mathematics being mandatory subjects.
Additionally, the JEE Main eligibility criteria apply to both repeaters and Class 12 candidates. JEE Main also serves as the eligibility test for those aspiring to sit for JEE Advanced. The top 2,50,000 candidates who qualify in the Main exam will be allowed to appear for the Advanced exam.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT JEE Advanced
If you pass JEE Main and meet the eligibility requirements, you can take JEE Advanced, which is the gateway to undergraduate programs at IITs. Here's what you need to qualify:
- Be among the top 2,50,000 candidates (including reserved category) who clear JEE Main – Paper 1.
- For general category candidates: Score at least 75% marks in your Std. XII board exam, including Mathematics, Physics (compulsory), and Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology. (For SC-ST category candidates, it's 65%.)
Be in the top 20 percentile of your Std. XII board.
- You can appear for JEE Advanced in two consecutive years starting from the year you complete Std. XII.
- If you join any IIT, IT-BHU, Varanasi, or ISM, Dhanbad through JEE, you won't be allowed to take JEE in the future.
For Best IIT JEE Coaching in Chandigarh, contact Zetta Career Institute. Proven Results. Best Faculty. No.1 Institute in Chandigarh for XI-IIT JEE, XII-IIT JEE, Dropper's Batch, Crash Courses, Test Series Batches for IIT JEE.
meeting the eligibility criteria for IIT is a crucial step for aspiring engineering students. Understanding the specific requirements related to nationality, age, qualifying exams, marks, and other factors is essential for a successful application and admission process. By adhering to these criteria, candidates can pursue their dreams of studying at prestigious institutions like the Indian Institutes of Technology, paving the way for a promising future in the field of engineering. It is important to stay informed and prepared to fulfill these eligibility conditions and make the most of the opportunities provided by IIT.